Programme Leadership Foundation
Change in the public sector is everywhere and the need to identify and develop capable programme leaders has never been more pressing.
The road map for developing programme and project leaders generally has three identifiable stages. Firstly, understanding the processes and techniques of project management to deliver a self contained piece of work, secondly, engaging with stakeholders to deliver a wider change through people and thirdly leading a multi-faceted complex change programme.
The transition from managing to leading a programme is a critical step that requires close attention and constant development. This programme provides a comprehensive introduction to the role of the programme leader and the specific skills required to deliver change through people.
- Existing Leaders who have recently taken on programme or project responsibilities
- Existing PPM specialists aspiring to and/or moving into a programme or project leadership role
- Programme and project stakeholders who are engaged in and support the delivery of change
- Portfolio Managers & Programme Office staff engaging with Programme and Project leaders
The Programme Leadership Foundation is uniquely constructed using the following components:
- Two linked “Theme Days” which provide highly focused learning and explore the challenges of leading programmes successfully within the public sector
- Action Learning where each cohort member commits to completing a personal development plan which will embed the learning
- A personal coach/mentor who will support development on a one-to-one basis
- An on-line assessment to raise self awareness and identify emotional strengths
- Supplementary Masterclasses and other group events to support additional related development needs
- A graduation recognised by the Association for Project Management.
Individuals and Departments participating in the programme will benefit from the following:
- A highly relevant Public Sector programme tailored to the development needs of your Department
- A series of short, linked, highly practical workshops allowing the minimum distraction
- A team of specialist consultants to support your professional PPM development
- Support in the preparation & delivery of individual action plans designed to deliver a step change in PPM leadership within your Department
- A key differentiator with formal recognition where desirable and appropriate in addition to enhanced capability
- A peer network of like-minded professionals
- A self-supporting community of PPM good practice embedded within the Department and with links to other Government Departments
The Programme Leadership Foundation is delivered over a period of 6 months and encompasses a mixture of short facilitated workshops, action learning, peer networking, personal coaching and personality profiling.
Each Theme Day provides the opportunity to discuss the leadership challenges in a programme context and consider both the attitudes and techniques required to address them. Participants will have the opportunity to consider how these challenges will impact their programme, their Department and their profession and build personal strategies for dealing with them.
The programme centres around two Theme Days as follows:
- Theme Day 1 – The Programme Leader Working with People Understanding your own individual impact on people, team dynamics and the tools and techniques required to work in highly effective programme teams.
- Theme Day 2 – Professional Programme Leadership Understanding the broader disciplines of programme management and the role of the leader in delivering change effectively.
The programme is delivered to cohorts of twelve participants selected from several government departments who will remain together for it’s duration. Each participant will be allocated a personal coach who will support their development over the course of the programme.
The PDLA enables members to share their own experiences openly and with confidence and can lead to both individual and organizational accreditation.